Thursday, February 17, 2011

Home Coming

I think about all our love ones that have past. My mom and dad Joyce and Charles, my brother in-law and sister Roger and Joyce, my uncle Johnny, my grandmother Mammy, My aunt Hazel, and my uncle Ed. Many of us miss these people in different ways. We wish they could be back with us but healthy and lively like we have them fixed in our minds. We want to hug them, hold them, kiss them, and tell them another hundred plus times we love them. Let me share what I see in my mind.

I see a large house setting in the country side. You know the type, they all described it to you the house they would have if they could build it. A two story house with a wrap around porch so they could sit and watch the sun set feeling the breeze blow over them. In side this house is a big living room where everyone can sit and share their stories a thousand times over and everyone listens and laughs as if it was the first time they ever heard it. Daddy has his friends over playing music as Daddy sings Mammy dances to the beat. Mom is in the kitchen with the stove hot cooking away, Aunt Hazel and Joyce are with her helping and gossiping about that other family member everyone talks about.

In the dinning room sits a table as big as it looked to us when we were ten. Room enough for everyone no child’s table here and all the foods that Mom, Joyce, Aunt Hazel, and Mammy cooked so well what you remembered from Thanksgiving and Christmas. All the food sitting there waiting on someone to dig in. I see Mom’s pumpkin pie and Dads potato salad and banana pudding, a big baked ham and roasted turkey, homemade dressing and giblet gravy. I can’t wait to taste Joyce’s fudge pie or maybe it’s her sweet potatoes covered with cinnamon and marshmallows. No mater how much you eat you never run out of hot rolls.

After dinner everyone goes on how good it all was settling down with drinks. There is no bad seat in the house all chairs and couches feel just right. Sitting there enjoying it all is Uncle Ed with his hat and overalls on playing with one of our many pets. Beside him is an open space waiting because here he doesn’t mind waiting on a woman.

This is what I see an open door and people waiting for us to arrive so the party can really get started. What a way to go home.

By
Sidney Tucker

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a nice thought Sid. It seems you have lost a lot of your family members. I guess the hardest thing for me is knowing that I have to go through the rest of my life with out them. Kinda like starting a new life that is unfamiliar and empty. Maybe I'm being stingy, but I just love them and wasn't ready to give them up. Guess none of us are though. One good thing is that I know we will see them again, and I know there will be plenty of dinner rolls.. lol.. Thank you Sid for sharing that wonderful thought, you always have a way of lifting my spirits.

KerryB said...

That is a great way to think about it. And yes I can see the whole telling the same stories over and over again like they've never been told....lol. You where always amazed that when your mom told me a story for the 5th or 6th time I never said you already told me that. I still think of her alot and miss her, I can imagine how much you miss her.
Feb 10 was 26 years since my father passed away and there is still a void then my 2 grandfathers, grandmother, uncle, etc... It's nice to think they're sitting in a nice cozy home waiting on us to join them.

Chris Hawkins said...

Great job. I love the way you can paint a picture and allow us to see what you see. Thank you for sharing it. :)